- CNR Caboose 78185
- NAR Caboose 13025
- CPR Box Car 156032
- CNR Stock Car 172855
- CNR Box Car 509893
- CNR Box Car 512719
- CNR Box Car 557073
- CNR Box Car 477871
- NAR Box Car 17092
- CNR Refrigerator Car 46230
- CNR Gondola 58285
- CNR Covered Hopper 53339
- NAR Tank Car 16040
- CNoR Flat Car 28251
- APRA 400
- CNR Tank Car 51625
- NAR Flat Car 15511
- NAR Flat Car 15015
This car was built in the CNR Transcona Car Shops in Winnipeg. It is a typical CNR caboose complete with beds, coal bin, sink, water tank, desks, stove, oven, ice-block refrigerator and cupola seats with backs that flip to face the direction in which the train is running.
Caboose 78185 was restored to its original condition in the winter of 1987-1988 and received a new coat of paint in the summer of 1996. It was used in the filming of “Monte Walsh” starring Tom Selleck.
This caboose was built by the Canadian Car & Foundry for the Northern Alberta Railways and numbered 13025. It became part of the CNR system following the amalgamation in 1981 and was renumbered to CN 78978. It currently rides on American Association of Railroads (AAR) double truss trucks with leaf springs. This caboose also had a generator which provided power for lights and a hotplate.
This NAR caboose is a bit different from the museum’s CNR caboose 78185. The most visible difference between this and other cabooses is the replacement of the cupola with bay windows.
This car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry for the CPR as box car 422914. in the 195200 series as a machinery and automobile car. It was re-numbered by CP as 156032. The car was then purchased by the NAR in 1952 and used as a supply service car 179913.
In 2012, Agrium Inc. provided funds for a complete restoration of the car to as it was in CPR grain car service in the 1930’s. The grain car was repainted in 2014-15 as CPR 156032. It currently exhibits a grain display, grain Elevator scale, false and solid crates, railway tools in crates and a pot belly stove.
This stock car was built by Pullman Standard Car Company for Grand Trunk Railway as an outside braced box car. It was numbered 26169. After amalgation with CN, the car was renumbered it to 346349. In 1935, it was converted to a stock car and numbered 172755. At the time of conversion, the former K triple air brakes were replaced with AB brakes, and the arch bar trucks with AAR trucks. These stock cars not only moved livestock but were used to carry company material to outlying points from main stores or shops. The car body was painted in 2012. It is currently being used for storage.
This car was built by National Steel Car. It was primarily used as a grain car.
The car is equipped with Symington double truss trucks, 5.5 x 10 journals, plain bearings and has AB brakes. This type of box car had larger capacity than previous equipment due to its larger journals, cast steel sides on the trucks and improved steel underframing. It was the last major evolution of the box car. This design saw use until the close of World War II when it was rapidly replaced by the all steel box car.
Box Car 509893 went to Stettler, Alberta in July, 1994 to be used in a movie. It is currently being used for storage.
This box car was built by Canada Car & Foundry. 512719 and Its relative 509893 worked through the Great Depression by moving all kinds of cargo during World War II. However, they were most often seen in service at a country grain elevator being loaded with grain.
This car also went to Stettler, Alberta in July 1994 for a movie shoot. It was painted in 1996 and is currently being used for storage.
The box car was built by National Steel Car for CNR as insulated box car 557073. It was last used in CN work service as 73636. The car is currently being used for storage.
CNR Box Car 477871
Capacity: 95,000 lbs. / 3712 cu. ft.
Load Limit: 95,100 lbs.
Light Weight: 46,900 lbs.
Inside Length: 40.6 ft.
Inside Width: 9.2 ft.
Inside Height: 10 ft.
This car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry as one of the first modern steel sided car for grain service. It showed the change from wood to all-steel cars that occurred as the railways upgraded and modernized their freight equipment. This car was assigned to work service with number 72096 and then re-numbered to 72038. It is currently being used for storage.
This outside sheathed box car was built for the Canadian Pacific Railway and numbered 199801. It was rebuilt in 1924 with Dreadnaught pressed steel ends in a “reverse Murphy” pattern. In 1944, NAR purchased the car and converted it to a material car 17092. Some of the car’s features include arch bar trucks with 5 x 9 journals and plain bearings, and truss rod supports. The car was repainted in 2015 and is currently being used for storage.
This car was built by Eastern Car Company for the Canadian National Railways as box car 201286. It was renumbered to 208046. The car was acquired by NAR and numbered 7584. CNR then renumbered it to 46230. It main feature is insulated double walls with ice compartments at either end. Ice is loaded through roof hatches at the car ends. The interior has hanging rods in the roof for meat carcasses. The body is wood sheathed and it has a steel underframe. The picture above shows restoration in progress. It is currently being used for storage.
This gondola was originally built as box car 509363 by National Steel Car for CNR. In December 1975, under order AK12-75, the car was cut down and converted into Gondola 58285 for work service. It was lettered as a High Speed Accessory car and MWF as well. The gondola is currently being used for storage.
The hopper was built as CNR 135466 and renumbered to 352419 in 1967. It was then transferred to work train service as 53339 in April 1984. It main feature is that is has the first series of slab-side covered hoppers with six hatches in the roof.
It currently contains locomotive sand.
16040 was used as a water car and then for diesel fuel for track side equipment.
This flat car was built by the Dominion Car and Foundry for the Canadian Northern Railway, and given number 28251. It became CN 650090. When it went into work service, it was renumbered to 57383. It has been painted and lettered for the Canadian Northern Railway. It is on display under the Hart Parr tractor, a set of discs and a 2 share walking plow.
This car was built by Canadian General Tank Company and numbered 1102. This car made a significant contribution to the success of Canada’s war effort during both World Wars and to the post war development of the country. It ended up in service under PROCOR Ltd. ownership and has since been lettered APRA 400.
This steel water tank car was purchased second hand in 1911. It has a steel centre sill and frame.
This car was built for the Canadian Northern Railway as box car 661595. After catching fire in May 1949 at Mile 216 on the Slave Lake Subdivision, it was rebuilt as a flat car and numbered 15511. The flat car’s trucks have coil springs and 5.5 x 10 journals with plain bearings. The trucks also have 1909 patent dates. This flat car is currently being used for rail storage.
This car is another example of a light duty flat car like 15511 above. Its main features include a steel centre sill and bolsters with wood stringers and wood deck, steel end sills with pole pockets on each corner and K-type air brake equipment. It is smaller and lighter than normal. The car has arch bar trucks and 4.5 x 8 journals with 1911-20 wheels. It is currently being used for storage.