- CNR 1392
- CNR 9000
- NAR 73
- NAR 302 – Chief Moostoos
- CNR 6514 and CNR 6614
- CNR 7944
- CNR 4 (44 ton)
- CPR 5000
- GT 4520
- LaFarge (44 ton)
- GE (80 ton)
Type: 4-6-0 Ten wheeler
Built by: 1913
Length: 63 ft. 6 1/2 in.
Height: 14 ft. 10 1/2 in.
Width: 10 ft. 8 in.
Cylinders: 22 in. diameter X 26 in. stroke
Boiler Pressure: 180 psi
Drive Wheel Diameter: 63 in
Maximum tractive effort: 30,560 lbs.
Water Capacity: 5,000 gallons
Oil Capacity: 3,000 gallons
Serial Number: 52649
Total Engine Weight: 86.5 tons (173,000 lbs.)
Engine and Tender: 150 tons (297,000 lbs.)
Locomotive 1392 was built by Locomotives Works in Montreal Quebec. Locomotives of this class were originally used for passenger service and were among the first to operate into Edmonton on the Canadian Northern Railway. They were the workhorse locomotives that helped to open up the Prairies.
Superseded by heavier and faster locomotives on mainline service, 1392 was one of a group of locomotives that continued performing mixed and way freight duties for the CNR until the general retirement of all steam locomotives in the late 1950s.
As a branchline locomotive, 1392 was used in freight, mixed freight and passenger duties across the Canadian Northern and Canadian National Central and Western systems. In the later years, 1392 served on work trains and weed trains in Alberta. After being retired in 1955, it was put on static display at the Edmonton Exhibition grounds
Locomotive 1392 is one of the few operating steam locomotives in Canada. Since being donated to the museum, it has had a busy life. Among its credits:
- 1978 – “Days of Heaven”
- 1986 – Steam Expo ’86 in Vancouver
- 1989 – “Bye Bye Blues” – movie directed by Anne Wheeler
- 1996 – “Jake and the Kid” – Episode 19, July, on site.
- 2002 – “Monte Walsh”, starring Tom Selleck – at Redwater AB.
- 2005 – Alberta Centennial train – to Boyle and Waskatenau AB.
- 2013 – 1392 celebrates its 100th birthday
- 2017 – Rails and Tales – Canada 150 Celebration – Stettler, AB
Length: 50 ft. 8 in.
Height: 15 feet
Tractive Effort: 40%
Continuous Tractive Effort: 44,000 lbs.
Power: 1,500 hp
Engine: EMD 567-B, V-16
Gear Ratio: 62:25
Cooling Water Capacity: 192 gallons
Lubrication Oil Capacity: 166 gallons
Sand Storage: 16 cubic feet
Class: CN V-I-A-a, later CN GFA-15a
Fuel Capacity: 1,000 gallons
Maximum Speed: 65 mph
Serial Number: 5888
Acquired: 1971 from CN
CNR 9000 is the museum’s “signature” locomotive. This diesel electric locomotive was built by General Motors – Electro-Motive Division. A diesel engine drives a generator which produces electricity for the electric motors mounted on each of the axles. It also has a third seat for the “fireman” in the cab. This was a Locomotive Union requirement.
9000 is historically significant because it was the first production road freight locomotive built for a Canadian railway. It logged 2.5 million miles in revenue service from 1948 until its retirement from CN in October 1971. 9000 spent a good portion of its productive service working out of Calder (now Walker) Yard in Edmonton, Alberta, especially during its last few years.
This locomotive was sandblasted and repainted in 1996. It ran under its own power on Central Western Railway for a shooting of the movie “In Cold Blood” in July 1996.
The museum’s 9000 is the second Canadian National Railways locomotive to bear that number. The first 9000 has a fascinating history. It was used on an armoured train that operated on the west coast during the Second World War. It was camouflaged to look like a boxcar where it pulled a series of flat cars and boxcars. These cars contained guns and ammunition that were intended to fight off an attack from Japanese submarines which were reputed to be patrolling the coastal waters. The first 9000 was used briefly for passenger services after the war and then was retired in 1946.
Class: none assigned
Length: 67 ft. 3 in.
Height: 14 ft. 7.75 in.
Width: 10 ft. 8 in.
Cylinders: 22″ diameter X 28″ stroke
Boiler Pressure: 190 psi.
Drive Wheel Diameter: 56 in.
Engine Weight: 89 tons (178,000 pounds)
Total Engine and Tender: 162.75 tons (325,500 pounds)
Maximum Tractive Effort: 39,140 lbs.
Water Capacity: 6,000 gallons
Oil Capacity: 3,881 gallons (converted to oil in 1952)
Serial Number: 1821
Locomotive 73 was built by Canadian Locomotive Company for the Alberta Government Railways. It was assigned to the Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway and was taken on the roster of the Northern Alberta Railways after the formation of the NAR in 1929. Locomotive 73 operated in freight and passenger service on the NAR until retirement in 1960.
Locomotive 73 was sold to Premier Steel, a subsidiary of Stelco in 1960. It was then rescued from the scrapper’s torch in 1964. (Of the 17 steam locomotives that were owned by the NAR, Locomotive 73 is the only survivor.) With parts from sister engines 72 and 74, 73 was again under steam by 1967. The locomotive was then stored at the Edmonton Transit System (ETS) Cromdale Car Barns and put under the care of the Rocky Mountain Branch of the Canadian Railroad Historical Association (CRHA). 73 was eventually moved to the Alberta Railway Museum where it ran until 1979. A leak developed in the boiler and 73 was shut down for good.
The locomotive then became a static display at the museum and it was still owned by the CRHA. This all changed on August 7, 2017 when the Alberta Railway Museum purchased Locomotive 73 for a loonie. Due to this change of ownership, the museum can now begin the restoration process.
This locomotive was built by General Motors of Canada – Diesel Division for the Northern Alberta Railway and numbered 302. It went into service in 1960. It was named after Chief Moostoos, the First Nations Chief who signed Treaty #8, the last treaty signed with the First Nations in Alberta. In 1981 it was renumbered to 1179 by CN.
The last passenger train on the NAR from Dawson Creek to Edmonton was pulled by NAR 302. Its “consist” included Baggage Car 1460 and “WESTLOCK”. Locomotive 302 was restored back to its NAR livery.
These two diesel- electric “F” Series locomotives were built by General Motors of Canada for CNR’s transcontinental passenger service. They were transferred to VIA Rail in 1978. In 1995, the locomotives were purchased by the Wisconsin Central Railroad where they were used as excursion trains on their Algoma Central division. The locomotives were repainted and renumbered 1762 and 1753 respectively. In 2001, the Wisconsin Central Railroad was purchased by the CNR and the locomotives were put into storage. The locomotives have since been repainted and renumbered back to the 1960s CNR service livery.
Class: CN Class GS10A
Model: GM model NW-2, Diesel Electric
Weight: 125 tons
Height: 14 ft. 6.25 in.
Length: 44 ft. 5 in.
Power: 1,000 hp
Fuel Capacity: 500 gallons
Maximum Speed: 65 mph.
Serial Number: 4115
Acquired: 1977 from CN
This locomotive was built by General Motors – Electro-Motive Division for the CNR. It was used to shunt or switch cars around the railway yard. This locomotive was retired in 1976 after it was discovered that it had several engine problems, including a warped engine block. It was repaired by volunteers and was operational again in 1988. It has since been repainted in the modern Canadian National paint scheme.
This locomotive was built by General Electric Company for the CNR. It was used for switching on docks in Kelowna and Vancouver. CNR 4 was last used as a industrial switching engine in Camrose. Its main feature is dual caterpillar diesel engines.
This locomotive was built by General Motors of Canada – Diesel Division. The GP30 is easily recognizable due to its high profile and stepped cab roof. (GP 30 – Canadian Pacific Railway)
This locomotive was built by General Motors – Electro-Motive Division. It is the last remaining CN GP-9 with a short high hood. 4520 also has a 26L automatic brake valve and roof mounted air reservoirs. (GP – 9 Grand Trunk Railway)
This locomotive was built by General Electric Company. It was used for switching duties at the LaFarge Clover Bar Cement Plant. Its main feature is dual Cummins marine diesel engines.
This locomotive was built by General Electric Company for Stelco and numbered 30816. It was used for switching at the Stelco plant in Hamilton before relocating to Edmonton in 1985. The locomotive’s main feature is dual Cummins diesel engines.